| Crime |

Isaiah Moreno arrested in fatal stabbing of Estevan Ruiz on RTD bus (70)

Update: We've been reporting about a fatal stabbing on a Number 15 RTD bus near Federal and Colfax yesterday afternoon.

A short time ago, the Denver Police Department revealed that Isaiah Moreno, twenty, had been arrested on suspicion of first-degree murder. Now, the Denver coroner's office has identified the victim: Estevan Ruiz, age 39. The cause of death is listed as a "stab wound to the neck." Continue to see our previous coverage, including a recently released photo of Moreno.

Update, 12:21 p.m. April 10: As we reported earlier today, a man was stabbed to death on the Number 16 RTD bus near a stop at Colfax and Federal.

At this writing, the Denver coroner's office has not yet released the name of the victim in the attack. But the Denver Police Department has announced an arrest in the case. Twenty year old Isaiah Moreno is being held on suspicion of first-degree murder.

Look below to see a larger version of Moreno's booking photo, followed by our previous coverage.

Original post, 5:51 a.m. April 10: Last year, the stabbing of Aaron Bishop on an RTD bus in Aurora -- for which the man behind the knife, Michael Walker, was ultimately not charged -- became the first death on an RTD bus in a decade. Unfortunately, though, far fewer than ten years passed before the next one came along. A thus-far unidentified man died as a result of a stabbing yesterday on a Number 16 bus. Details and video below.

Marijuana Deals Near You

At 2:46 p.m. yesterday, according to the Denver Police Department, officers responded to a park and ride near Federal Boulevard and Colfax, not far from Sports Authority Field at Mile High, on a report of a stabbing.

Upon their arrival, they found a man with what's described as an apparent knife wound. He was rushed to Denver Health, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Neither the man's name nor his official cause of death has been released by the Denver coroner's office at this writing. However, 9News reports that the man was stabbed in the neck following a scuffle on the bus.

Witnesses said a pool of blood collected under the seat nearest where the stabbing took place. Here's a look at it:

After the attack, the driver stopped the bus and ordered everyone off -- and it appears that the person who wielded the blade managed to slip out with the others prior to making his escape.

The station says a person was subsequently taken into custody for questioning, but the DPD's updated release, issued just shy of 10 p.m., makes no mention of such an action, and neither does it name a suspect.

Investigators think additional witnesses to the crime may still be out there. With that in mind, they encourage anyone who saw what happened or has additional details to contact Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP (7867). A reward of up to $2,000 is being offered for information leading to an arrest and charge.

See the 9News piece below.

More from our Mile High Murder archive: "Jeremy Wilson ID'd as homicide victim shot near 26th and Bryant (69)."

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.