The Rossonian Hotel -- a century-old landmark at 27th and Welton streets in the heart of Five Points -- is the focus of our current cover story, "All That Jazz." The jazz club in the hotel once drew some of the nation's top talent -- but the music ended back in the '70s. Since then, $3.2 million in public money has been poured into various plans to resurrect the building, but they've all fallen flat. But a new proposal could see the Rossonian -- and the block it stands on -- rising again in an ambitious project that calls for retail, restaurants, residences and an exclusive hotel.
And the Rossonian isn't the only project on tap for this stretch of Welton Street. Here are some of the other plans in the works:
1) 2300 Welton Century Real Estate is transforming the southwestern tip of the corridor into 268,422 square feet of multi-family, affordable housing for those earning 60 percent or less of the average medium income for the area. The team anticipates breaking ground on 223 units at the end of the month, and the plans include 207 parking spaces.
2) 2422-2460 Welton Palisade Partners recently started construction on a five-story, mixed-use, market=rate apartment building with one and two bedroom apartments, fourteen three-story townhomes and 3,000 square feet of retail space. 3) 2501 Welton The current plan, as proposed by the McWhinney Group (one of the Union Station partners), is a mixed-use, 29,818-square-foot renovation of one of the original Deep Rock buildings into retail and office space. 4) 2650 Welton The historic Rossonian Hotel, and the remainder of the block will be redeveloped into a hotel, two restaurants, a jazz venue and, possibly, condo units, according to the Five Points Business District.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Westword's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Denver's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Marijuana Deals Near You
5) 2714 Welton Cousins-King's historic Arcade Building was recently renovated, and the main floor now houses Rosenberg's Bagels and Delicatessen. The upper floor is expected to provide up to four residential units. 6) 2736 Welton Five Points Plaza, a two-story commercial retail space, was sold to Five Points Plaza LLC, and the developers plan to convert the place into restaurants and Spangalang, a brewpub headed by the Great Divide's former brewmaster, Taylor Rees, opening later this spring. 7) 2741 Welton Randall's at Pierre's has been dishing up Cajun and Creole cuisine since relocating from Downing Street to a historic, two-story building on Welton.
8) 2801 Welton Star Mesa Properties aims to renovate this landmark two-story building, formerly Otha Rice's Tap Room & Oven, adding first=floor dining and shopping with office space and lofts overhead. The firm has already gotten the go-ahead from the Denver Urban Renewal Authority, and is seeking approval for tax increment financing today.
9) 2821-2843 Welton Markel Homes is tackling a five-story, mixed-used project that includes retail, ground-level parking and four floors of market-rate apartments. 10) 2844 Welton For 52 years this building held the Dunbar Barbershop. Developer Ayre WP LLC, renovated the space into a 4,690-square-foot restaurant, Dunbar Kitchen & Tap House, which opened three weeks ago and displays the old barbershop window in its the hallway.
11) 2942-2944 Welton This site, a Welton Street Challenge grant recipient, is being developed into nuROOT Innovative Office Space, designed for emerging businesses. The project features 4,710 square feet of office space, along with an eating and drinking establishment. 12) 2950 Welton Saint Bernard Properties is taking the lead on a proposed three-story building, incorporating 1,500 square feet of commercial retail onto the ground floor, and four boutique residential apartments above. Have a tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.