Carmine's on Penn has held down its corner of Pennsylvania and Bayaud since 1994. When the restaurant opened, it was intended as a place where big groups could converge and enjoy themselves without thinking too much about what they were eating — ordering big platters of Italian food served family-style. Parties still come for that experience, filling the bar, the dining room, and a patio that's sealed against the elements by heavy canvas. And quantity continues to rule: The kitchen remains devoted to the idea of putting out a roster of enormous dishes, cooking up red-sauce Italian classics and such accoutrements as minestrone. Be careful when you order: The portions are so large that it's easy to overload on this food (though many of the plates are now available in a smaller two-person portion), and many of the recommended dishes do not come cheap.
- Price: $$$, $$$$
- Hours: Tuesday-Sunday 5-8 p.m.
- Alcohol: Full bar
- Reservations: Recommended
- Parking: On-street, Valet
- Extra Services: Catering, Private-group dining
- Call restaurant to order/pay
- Curbside pickup
- Meal kits for home preparation
- Use restaurant website to order/pay