While you can get staples like burritos and chiles rellenos at this counter-service spot in the Highland neighborhood, the real draw at Tamales by La Casita is (obviously) the tamales. But while the husk-wrapped masa pockets stuffed with your choice of red chile and pork or green chile with cheese are reason enough to visit, they become one of the top dishes in the city when ordered smothered with La Casita's heat-forward green chile, which is on the thinner side and studded with small pieces of pork, scant bits of tomato and visible diced chiles. You can order a smothered tamale for $3 for a cheap and filling snack — or grab a dozen and a quart of chile to keep on hand for a spicy fix anytime.
- Price: $$
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Outdoor seating: Open-air patio
- Alcohol: Full bar
- Reservations: Not accepted
- Parking: Lot available, On-street
- Alcoholic beverages to go
- Call restaurant to order/pay