Adrian Chavez, Accused Toddler-Shooting Gun Owner, Was in SWAT Team Standoff With Mom

Update: Earlier this morning, we posted an update about a SWAT team standoff in Keenesburg that ended tragically. Turns out a similar standoff was in the past of another person at the center of a Tuesday post: Adrian Chavez, 22, the accused owner of a gun a five-year-old used to shoot a Pueblo toddler. See our previous coverage below.

Continue for photos and additional details about Chavez's previous run-in with the law, which began with an alleged home invasion also involving his mom.

See also: Dione Warren, Proud Gun Owner, Busted After Toddler Son Shoots and Kills Himself

Chavez's Facebook page lists his status as single, but there are plenty of photos featuring children that may or may not include those involved in the shooting. In that incident, a nine-year-old reportedly found Chavez's gun unattended and manipulated it into a shooting position before giving it to a younger child, age five. The latter then shot a three-year-old girl, who survived a shot to the chest. At last report, she was in critical but stable condition.

Also spotlighted on Chavez's page are portraits like this one....

...and this one: Not included is this image: The reason? It's a booking photo of Chavez from April 2012, when he and three others were taken into custody after a high-profile bust.

According to a contemporary report in the Pueblo Chieftain, Chavez was among a group that invaded a home on the 1000 block of East Abriendo Avenue. There, members were said to have threatened the homeowner with a bat, hit him with a rock and assaulted him and his girlfriend.

Afterward, the suspects reportedly fled to another house, located at 2531 West 29th Street. Police tipped by the Abriendo Avenue homeowners showed up there early on April 16, and when Chavez and company didn't come out willingly, a SWAT team was dispatched and neighbors in the immediate area were evacuated due to concerns that the occupants were armed and dangerous. A police spokesman told the Chieftain the Chavezes had a "weapons history."

What followed was a standoff that lasted for the better part of seven hours. Finally, around 9 a.m., police were able to make contact with someone inside, and around twenty minutes later, nine adults and one juvenile exited the home voluntarily.

Chavez, then twenty, was promptly cuffed and booked along with his mom, Yvonne Chavez, plus Charles Chavez and Jeffrey Trujillo. KOAA-TV reveals that Adrian was eventually charged with felony first-degree burglary and misdemeanor assault. He pleaded guilty to the assault beef, receiving three years' probation and 100 hours of community service in exchange.

However, Chavez failed to show up for a court date earlier this year, resulting in his probation being revoked in May. Additionally, an arrest warrant was issued in his name -- which is likely why he split after the shooting rather than sticking around to deal with police. He was found and arrested a few hours later.

Here's another mug shot of Chavez, followed by our previous coverage.

Continue for our previous coverage of the shooting, including photos and more.
KEEP WESTWORD FREE... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Michael Roberts has written for Westword since October 1990, serving stints as music editor and media columnist. He currently covers everything from breaking news and politics to sports and stories that defy categorization.
Contact: Michael Roberts

Latest Stories