^
Keep Westword Free
4
| News |

Carbon monoxide lawsuit filed on behalf of the late, beautiful Lofgren family: A photo gallery

Looking at photos of the Lofgrens, it's hard to imagine a more perfect family. Which only makes the cruelty of their fate that much more heart-wrenching. All four died in 2008 of carbon monoxide poisoning in an Aspen rental home. Now, their kin have filed a civil suit against Pitkin County and others over these horrific deaths; it documents the awful circumstances. Get details below -- and see a photo gallery of Lofgren photos that bring the tragedy home.

As noted in the Lofgren family civil suit, parents Parker and Caroline Lofgren, along with their adorable children, Owen, ten, and Sophie, eight, traveled to Aspen to spend Thanksgiving weekend at a facility called The Lodge. That evening, the lawsuit states, snow began falling on their rental home. As snow accumulated on the roof, a sensor triggered a gas-fired boiler called the "Munchkin" to melt it.

But something went terribly wrong. At five p.m. on November 28, 2008, family friends discovered the Lofgrens' bodies -- and they were in fearful condition, according to the lawsuit:

The decedents Parker and Caroline Lofgren were found in their nightclothes on the bed. Caroline had hemorrhaged from her mouth or nose. Owen was found on the floor by his father beside a nightstand. Sophie was found on the floor by her mother with her face bloodied. Blood was also found on the bedding of one of the bunk beds in the children's guest suite.

It was later confirmed that carbon monoxide poisoning killed the Lofgrens, with evidence pointing to the Munchkin boiler. The suit alleges that the causes of the poisoning included, but were not limited to, a disconnected exhaust vent, a disconnected fresh air intake vent, a defectively designed boiler, an improperly installed HVAC system and the absence of a carbon monoxide detector. The document argues that several of these factors "were open and obvious violations of Pitkin County Code."

I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

A release about the suit points out that the Lofgrens' surviving loved ones were instrumental in getting carbon-monoxide-safety laws passed in four states, including Colorado. The suit is intended to raise awareness of these issues further, and it's likely to do so, especially after people get a look at the Lofgrens. Page through below to see photos of a family gone far too soon.

Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.