In 1937, industrial designer and typographer Gerry Powell, designed an extremely condensed typeface named Onyx that became very popular among advertising type in the 1940s because it allowed more characters to be used when space was limited or costly.
Cut to present day and any 90s kid will identify Powell's Onyx typeface as "Nirvana font", thanks to typesetter Grant Alden. According to nirvana-legacy.com, Alden was paid $15 to assist the graphic designer originally hired to create the cover art for Nirvana's Bleach in 1989. Nirvana's signature smiley face, drawn by Cobain, is another "mental shortcut" to identify the band.
Time to test your typography knowledge and the following bands' branding skills. Can you identify these famous acts by their typefaces? Answers provided on the last page.
1. Founded in 1977 in New Jersey, this band is often attributed for creating the horror punk subgenre.
2. Unfortunately, a member of this metal band from Sacramento died in 2013, after being in a coma. The band released a track from a shelved album as a tribute, but the video was removed by Warner Bros. Records two days later, citing copyright infringement.
3. Despite their short career, which produced only four singles and one studio album, this band is regarded as one of the most influential acts in the history of popular music.
4. This alternative metal band has grown tired of comparisons to Alice in Chains, which the lead singer has cited as an influence.
5. This English band is considered one of the most successful heavy metal bands in history. According to The New York Times, that they have sold over 85 million records worldwide.
Marijuana Deals Near You
6. This alternative rock band from the UK has been compared to Radiohead, and is often associated with space rock and progressive rock genres.
More typefaces on the next page 7. This band recently announced its founder won't be returning to the group due to his battle with a prolonged illness. As reported by The Sydney Morning Herald: "he has been moved into full-time care in a nursing home facility in Sydney's eastern suburbs specializing in dementia."
8. This English rock band is one of only five rock bands with two original studio albums selling over 10 million copies in the U.S. and has sold more than 100 million records wolrdwide.
9. The lead singer of this California-native band is also a talented ink and watercolor artist whose new work will be exhibited at the Rossmut Gallery in Rome in October 2014.
10. A Zeeland, Michigan high school assistant principal, described this nu metal band's music as "indecent, vulgar, obscene and... insulting" after giving a student a one-day suspension for wearing a shirt with the band's logo on it. The band responded by giving away hundreds of free band t-shirts outside the school.
11. "Listen, lads, you can't say [you're the next version of us]," A member of this legendary band once responded to an infamous Oasis statement. "...because it's probably the kiss of death!" He was right.
12. Mushroomhead claims this band, whose members notoriously wear creepy masks, "stole their image." Also, a few criminals have blamed this band's lyrics for causing their disturbing behavior.
More typefaces on the next page 13. Nobody is supposed to know what this duo looks like, but we can certainly identify their typeface (usually in silver), and signature head gear.
14. This band, sometimes referred to as "the Bad Boys from Boston", are the best-selling American rock band of all-time; they've sold more than 150 million albums worldwide.
15. The lead singer of this Los Angeles band became the first rock artist to be arrested onstage during a concert performance in 1967, after he disrespected a police officer.
16. The lead singer of this quirky alternative rock band took a break from the music industry to study literature at Harvard in 1995.
17. This band, regarded as one of the most influential and important rock bands of the modern era, released only three full-length studio albums.
18. This American rock band from New Jersey has performed more than 2,700 concerts in over 50 countries for more than 34 million fans.
Answer key on the next page Answer Key:
1. Misfits 2. Deftones 3. Sex Pistols 4. Godsmack 5. Iron Maiden 6. Muse 7. AC DC 8. Def Leppard 9. Incubus 10. Korn 11. The Beatles 12. Slipknot 13. Daft Punk 14. Aerosmith 15. The Doors 16. Weezer 17. Nirvana 18. Bonjovi
• BACKBEAT'S GREATEST HITS •
- 50 Photos That Prove Red Rocks Is the Most Beautiful Venue on the Planet
- Photos: Musicians Buying (Legal) Weed in Denver
- The Ten Most Underrated Guitarists in the History of Rock
- 50 Ways to Support Your DIY Music Community
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Westword's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Denver's stories with no paywalls.