January 14, 2017 | 10:03am
It's been a rocky few weeks for DIY communities. Oakland's Ghost Ship fire killed 36 people, at a dance party in a warehouse that had not been inspected in thirty years. That triggered cities across the country to ramp up their inspections of DIY spaces. Here in Colorado, Rhinoceropolis, Glob and Flux Capacitor have all been shut down — the latter permanently. Last week, the DIY community surfaced as a political coalition, Amplify Arts Denver, to improve conditions for the local underground scene, and Seventh Circle Music Collective survived an inspection.
Catch up on what's been going on since the Ghost Ship fire below.
Rhinoceropolis eviction order.
1. Rhinoceropolis DIY Venue Shut Down by Denver Fire Department for Code Violations
The entrance to Rhinoceropolis may be low-key, but during DIY shows, the energy inside was palpable.
2. Rhinoceropolis Founder Pens Letter to Congresswoman Diana DeGette
The banner image at the top of the benefit concert's Facebook page is a collage honoring victims of the Oakland fire Facebook Event Page for the Oakland Fire Benefit Concert
Facebook Event Page for the Oakland Fire Benefit Concert
3. Musicians Organize Benefit Concert for Ghost Ship Fire Victims at Aztlan Theatre
Ken Hamblin III
4. Musician and Urban Planning Expert on the Economic and Social Value of DIY Spaces
Itchy-O performs at a benefit for the Ghost Ship fire victims.
5. DIY Solidarity Shines at Denver's Ghost Ship Fire Benefit
Flux Capacitor mourns eviction.
Flux Capacitor Facebook Page
6. Colorado Springs Fire Department Shuts Down DIY Venue Flux Capacitor
A mural in Flux Capacitor's entryway.
7. Why Evicted DIY Organizer From Flux Capacitor Won't Give Up
Read on for more stories about Colorado's DIY scene in the wake of the Ghost Ship fire.
Friendly faces greeted guests and performers alike at Rhinoceropolis before it was shut down.
8. Denver: Quit Kicking Your Artists Out
Slow Slow Loris at Denver Noise Fest 2016.
9. DIY Music Isn't Dead in Colorado. Denver Noise Fest 2016 Proves It
Fantasia 2016 at Rhinoceropolis last fall.
Ken Hamblin III
10. RiNo Art District Pushes City to Stop Surprise DIY Venue Visits, Work With Artists
Charles Lillybridge captured turn-of-the-last-century life in Denver.
Denver Public Library
11. Rhinoceropolis and Glob Win a Special 2016 MasterMind Award
Tenants move their things out of the DIY space Rhinoceropolis at 12:05 p.m. on December 9.
12. Amplify Arts Denver Aims to Give Voice to Denver's DIY Scene
DIY artists and musicians gathered at RedLine to discuss the future of Denver's underground art scene.
13. DIY Denver Weighs Working With the City Against Freedom in the Shadows
Seventh Circle Music Collective
14. DIY Venue Seventh Circle Passes Inspection by Denver Fire Department