I got all nostalgic a few weeks ago and downloaded an Atari 2600 emulator and the old Activision Skiing game. Then I remembered Ski or Die on the Nintendo NES. Then I was just three old-school games away from a top five list!
1. Activision Skiing for the Atari 2600: The beauty is in its simplicity and the patch you could get for mailing in a Polaroid with your high score. And this TV ad is pretty sweet.
2. Ski or Die for the Nintendo NES: Snowboarding, tubing, snowball fights, and the perpetually stoned Rodney's ski shop.
3. Microsoft SkiFree for the PC:
See 1. Download freehere
4. U.S. Ski Team for the Intellivision: The cool kids with Intellivisions looked down their noses at us Atari 2600 slobs. But I guess they did have this game with this overlay for the control pad going for them.
5. Slalom for the Nintendo NES: Pole Position on skis.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.